- 1. Program Description
- 2. Important Dates
- 3. Eligibility Requirements
- 4. Application Link and Instructions
- 5. Tips for Essay Questions
- 6. Plagiarism
- 7. Tips for Letter of Recommendations
- 8. Format for Resume
- 9. Uploading documents
7. Tips for Letter of Recommendations
The application requires two recommendations, one of which must be from your immediate supervisor in your current position. The second must come from a professor, professional mentor, or other associate outside your current work setting. Personal friends or family members are NOT acceptable as referees.
Many letters of recommendation are not effective. Please ask your recommenders to be very careful writing the letters. Recommendations must remain confidential. Applicants cannot upload recommendation letters. Recommendation letters should be printed on institutional letterhead, signed by the authors, and then uploaded into the online application system by 4:00 pm on July 15, 2020. Copies of email correspondence will not be accepted.
All recommendations must be written in English. If the original recommendation letter is written in a language other than English there must be an official English translation. Because the recommendation letter is confidential the translation cannot be done by the applicant. Both the original recommendation letter and the English-language translation must be uploaded into the Fulbright application.
The letters should focus on
- Intellectual Curiosity and Analytical Ability
- Commitment to Public Service
- Potential for Impact in Nepal
The most effective letters of recommendation
- Help reviewers understand what is special or unique about the candidate’s proposed project or course of study. Why is it useful to Nepal? How is it different from what other people have done?
- Help reviewers understand what is special or unique about the candidate’s background, skills, or training.
- Expand or add to what’s in the CV. Please do not repeat what is already in the CV.
- Give specific examples.
Other important tips:
- Very short letters are not effective. Longer is better, if there is good content.
- Short paragraphs are much more effective.