About the Program

Through the Fulbright Scholar-in-Residence (S-I-R) Program, U.S. colleges and universities collaborate with scholars from Nepal to assist in internationalizing U.S. campuses, curricula and communities.

Fulbright S-I-Rs teach courses or guest lecture on topics in their areas of expertise and provide a cross-cultural or international perspective to promote curricula and program development. Their activities enhance the institution’s international/global studies programs, assist in the development of interdisciplinary program offerings and broaden international cooperation. In addition, Fulbright S-I-Rs are expected to engage in both on-campus and community activities throughout the program’s duration.

U.S. colleges and universities apply through the Institute of International Education (IIE) to host a Fulbright Scholar-in-Residence for either one semester or an academic year. The Scholar can be in most academic disciplines provided that the courses taught offer an international perspective. Institutions can propose a specific candidate by name, or IIE can work with Fulbright Commissions abroad to recruit a scholar whose background is appropriate for the proposed activities.

For more information, visit www.cies.org/sir


1. What is the eligibility for the S-I-R Program?

Any accredited U.S. institution of higher learning is eligible to apply. Institutions with limited on-campus international opportunities and/or serving diverse student populations are encouraged to apply. Only individuals applying on behalf of an accredited U.S. institution may apply.

2. What are the Fulbright S-I-R award benefits?

Grant benefits include: round-trip international air travel, a monthly stipend, an allowance for up to two dependents, and initial settling-in and professional allowances. Host institutions are encouraged, but not required, to provide some in-kind support and/or cost-sharing for the scholar, such as housing, meals, and transportation, to enhance the scholar’s experience.

3. How long is the program duration?

A one semester grant may be no less than three months; a full academic year may be no more than ten months. Grants may begin no earlier than August of the U.S. academic year.

4. I am a Nepali scholar interested in participating as a scholar. How can I apply for the Scholar-in-Residence Program?

The Scholar-in-Residence Program allows for U.S. institutions to apply to host a potential visiting scholar.  Individual scholars may not apply directly.  If you are in contact with a U.S. institution that has expressed interest in hosting a Scholar-in-Residence, encourage them to connect with IIE at sir@iie.org and connect with the Fulbright office.  In addition, please be encouraged to explore opportunities within the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program. Find information for Fulbright S-I-R Program named or recruited candidates here.

The Fulbright Scholar-in-Residence institutional application for the 2022-2023 program can be found here:

News and Announcements

Mentor Talks with Fulbright Alumni

Mentor Talks with Fulbright Alumni Namaste Nepali students! To mark the 75th anniversary of the Fulbright Program, American Spaces in Nepal are collaborating with the Fulbright Commission (aka USEF-Nepal) and…

Learn More

Humphrey Fellowship Program (AY 2022-2023)

AY 2022-2023 Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program Application Deadline: 24:00 Midnight, July 28, 2021 The US Educational Foundation in Nepal (USEF-Nepal or the Fulbright Commission) announces the AY 2022-2023 Hubert…

Learn More

2021-2022 Fulbright Specialist Program

2021-2022 Fulbright Specialist Program Deadline: August 31, 2021 The U.S. Education Foundation in Nepal (USEF-Nepal or the Fulbright Commission) announces application open for 2021-2022 Fulbright Specialist Program. The Fulbright Specialist…

Learn More